Adoption of a child – Direct consular filing


When a sponsor who has adopted a child locally (in a country outside the United States) has an imminent need to depart that country, USCIS will likely allow direct consular filing. The child must have been in the sponsor’s legal and physical custody for at least two years and the sponsor must have a full and final adoption decree on behalf of the child.