Tax transcript


This official document, provided by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), includes the following information about the taxpayer: marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income.

A tax transcript will be sent to the taxpayer by postal mail by filling the appropriate form on the web site of the IRS.

It takes 5 to 10 calendar days and will be sent at the address the IRS has on file for the taxpayer. The social security number (SSN) or individual tax identification number (ITIN), date of birth, address from your latest tax return are needed.

For extensions:

  • Submit a photocopy of the IRS form 4868
  • Have the taxpayer write and sign a statement indicating he or she filed an extension.

If no tax has been filed, U.S. immigration agencies suggest to have the tax payer write and sign a statement indicating why he or she have not filed taxes. But getting legal advice first is highly recommended.

If an IRS tax transcript cannot be obtained, have the taxpayer follow these steps:

  • Submit a photocopy of their IRS Federal Income Tax Returns.
  • Submit form(s) W-2 or schedule(s) from the most recent tax year.